If you have just started running whilst in lockdown you may want to consider the following tips to make your journey enjoyable -
* Start off slowly with your pace and distance, even if you think that you can do more. Make sure that you are comfortable walking briskly for at least 20 minutes before attempting to run. Then start running for 1 minute at a chatty pace, walking for 1 minute briskly over 20 minutes.
* Buy running shoes that support your feet to keep injuries at bay. Cross-trainers or tennis shoes do not have enough cushioning to handle the impact of running. Old running shoes will need replacing. It’s worth contacting a specialist running shop such as Sporting Feet as they will advise you. See their website for contact hours.
*Set a realistic goal to motivate you. At the moment, just getting out of the house for some fresh air may be enough motivation. But to continue running when lockdown has eased, a target might be to run for 30 minutes continuously, join your family at the local Park Run or your ‘runner’ friends for a social run.
* Make sure that you do some core exercises to support your running as a strong core will help you to run better and avoid injury. Bounce Gym – Wimbledon are running some great virtual classes for glutes & core.
* Try and wear a top and shorts/running tights in Dryfit or Coolmax fabric (no cotton) to keep you cool. It is worth investing in running socks to prevent blisters and a sports bra to avoid chaffing. Both items should fit snugly, be seamless and wick away sweat.
* Adhere to the government guidelines on exercise and social distancing.
And most importantly, enjoy your run! For running advice, challenges to take part in and bespoke virtual classes, please email Caroline at email@example.com
Share and Enjoy